Project Honeypot to the Rescue

My SMF message board saw a spike in harvesting traffic several weeks ago despite my best efforts to prevent that from happening. The CAPTHCA didn’t let any of spam through but the harvesters were eating bandwidth and server resources. Last week, I took action by hacking the index.php file to use the blacklist function of Project Honeypot. Jan developed a nice WordPress plugin but there was nothing available off the shelf for Simple Machines Forum message board. I took the http:bL query from Jan’s code, inserted my key and put the code at the beginning of the index.php file. When I get a hit from the query, I redirect the harvester to the Honeypot I installed. Took a couple of days but harvesters are being redirected to the Honeypot and my message board is seeing much less traffic.

If you are interested in finding out more about Project Honeypot, click the chicklet on the sidebar of this blog.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Project Honeypot to the Rescue

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s